CCC BEST 2022
Apply for the new Internship Program
About CCC BEST Program
Who can apply:
This program is open to Contra Costa College students interested in a future career or employment in biotechnology or science communication
The CCC BEST Internship program is designed to give Contra Costa College biotechnology and science communication students hands-on industry experience. There will be a variety of different project opportunities depending upon i-Cultiver’s ongoing projects during each semester. The program is anticipated to grow to increase the number of interns in both the biotechnology, and science communication categories in 2022-2023.
Where: Primarily at the Biotechnology lab in the new Science Building at Contra Costa College (2600 Mission Bell Dr, San Pablo CA 94806) , Occasional off campus work location in Albany, CA for sample prep or collection may be needed.
Stipend: Rate of ($20/hr.), paid monthly. Total maximum earnable stipend for 12 weeks, $1,200.
Minimum desirable Qualifications and Experience
Enrollment in or completion of BIOSC-157 and BIOSC-159 (Foundations in Biotechnology course)(): Equivalent skill demonstration may be considered, including; accurate use of precision measuring devices,, calculations to prepare reagents, solutions and media, aseptic technique, bioassays, sample preparation, lab records, data collection, lab processes and procedures
Recommended: enrollment in or completion of a second biotechnology lab course BIOSC-172 and BIOSC-172L: Introduction to Biotechnology ; BIOSC-186: Protein Purification and Analysis ; BIOSC-188: Biotechnology Operations Equivalent skill demonstration may be considered, including; creation and use of standard curves, lab notebook, scientific process, data analysis and presentation, cell culture in a bioreactor, cellular extraction and analysis of biomolecules, scientific communication and teamwork, sampling and labeling,
Details for Spring 2022
Number of CCC BEST Internships available: 2
Period of Internship: February 25 – May 13, 2022: Fridays from 11am to 4:00pm (with a flexible 30 min lunch break)
Anticipated projects (specific training will be provided prior to working on these projects):
- Preparation of greenhouse and field grown plant samples (soil, rhizosphere, roots, leaves) for 16S rRNA gene sequencing
- Extraction and biochemical analysis of pigments from leaves and fruit using spectrophotometry
- Preparing growth media, pouring growth plates, and germinating seeds under specific growth conditions
- Data collection and analyses
- Preparing mini reports and slides for communication of results
- Other miscellaneous activities with related training provided in the Internship program
- Students must apply using the Application Form provided here
- Materials needed to complete the application: Resumé and a Cover Letter. The Resumé should be up to date. The Cover Letter (maximum two pages in length) should include a brief statement on why you are interested in the CCC BEST program, your qualifications, and relevant courses you are taking or plan to take concurrently. Also, indicate whether you will be able to occasionally travel to Albany for sample preparation and collection. It is optional to include your picture in the Resumé. For any questions, email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Application Process:
- Complete the application and submit before the deadline (January 31, 2022)
- Some applications will be selected for an interview (either zoom or in person interview). Students selected for interviews will be notified by Monday, 2/7/22. If you have not heard from us by 2/7/22, you can email email@example.com to check whether your application was selected.
- Interviews will be held (online or in person) in the week of 2/14/22. More details about the interview will be provided before the interviews.
- Up to two students will be selected for the CCC BEST Internship Spring 2022, and final decisions will be announced by Monday, 2/21/22
- First day of internship will be Friday, 2/25/22